Ooty

The Queen of Hill Stations, Udhagamandalam or Ooty is situated at an altitude of 2290 m above sea level. Just 105 km away from Coimbatore, it is situated in the lap of the Nilgiri ranges. The Nilgiri got its name from the blue misty haze that envelops the range. It came into possession of the East India Company from Tipu Sultan by the treaty of Srirangapatnam in 1799. However, the first European to visit the Nilgiri hills was Rev. Jacome Forico, a priest who visited the place in 1603. However, settlement in Udhagamandalam began in 1822 when John Sullvan, the Collector of Coimbatore decided to build a Stone House here. Today, it is locally called as 'Kal Bangla' and is in use as the Chamber of the Principal of the Government Arts College. The base camp at Parsons valley offers several trekking points within Western Ghats. The sprawling Mudumalai Sanctuary nearby is love for a lifetime for adventure tourists.

One can also take hang-gliding courses at Ooty organized during March to May every year. The other popular sports here are Goad Trout, Carp and mixed water fishing in the various streams and lakes of Ooty. However, Ooty became famous with the establishment of numerous tea estates here. Known for its lofty mountains, dense forests, sprawling grasslands and miles of tea gardens, Ooty is one of the most preferred tourist destinations of Tamil Nadu, especially during summers. The annual Tea and Tourism Festival held in January is the occasion when tea lovers from all over the world converge. It is also a trekker's paradise with a number of thrilling, exciting and adventurous treks with beautiful natural surroundings varying in distance, altitudes and terrain. 

Places of interest
Botanical Gardens : Botanical gardens are a major tourist attraction in Ooty and sprawl over 50 acres of land. They are located on the lower slopes of Doddabetta peak, the highest point in Ooty. The lily ponds, the clipped bushes in the form of elephants with raised trunks, thousands of plants including some thirty types of eucalyptus in the gardens, a fossilized tree trunk believed to be 20 million years old and a wooden house made of logs known as 'Toda Mund' are the highlights here.
    
Rose Garden : Spread over an area of 10 acres of land, it has about 2000 variety of roses and lies on the way to the boathouse.
    
Government Museum : The government museum on the Mysore Road was set up in 1989 and has a collection of tribal objects and sculptural arts and crafts of Tamil Nadu. It provides educational benefits to the residing and visiting population of Nilgiris district.
Loading
    
St Stephen's Church : The oldest church in the Nilgiris, it was built in 1829 and consecrated in 1830. Its beam was taken from the palace of Tipu Sultan at Srirangapatnam and the nearby cemetery houses the grave of John Sullivan, the founder of Ooty.